A. Establishing the County Vocational School Right to Receive Tuition
- NJSA 18A:54-20(a) – The board of education of each school district (regional or otherwise) in any county in which there is a county vocational school district shall send to any of the schools of the county vocational school district each pupil who resides in the school district or regional school district who has applied for admission to and has been accepted for attendance at any of the schools of the county vocational school district. The board of education shall pay tuition for each of these pupils to the county vocational school district pursuant to subsection c of this section. The provisions of this section shall not apply to the board of education of a school district or regional school district maintaining a vocational school or schools pursuant to Article 2 of Chapter 54 of Title 18A of the New Jersey Statute.
- NJSA 18A:54-20.1(c) – The board of education of a county vocational school district shall receive such funds as may be appropriated by the county … and shall be entitled to collect and receive from the sending districts in which each pupil attending the vocational school resides for the tuition of that pupil … a sum not to exceed the actual cost per pupil as determined for each vocational program classification according to rules prescribed by the Commissioner and approved by the State Board.
B. Provisions Relating to Delivery of Vocational Programs and Access
- NJAC 6A:19-2.3(a) – each resident district board shall ensure that resident students may apply and, if accepted, attend a county vocational school pursuant to NJSA 18A:54-20.1 and shall pay tuition and transportation costs (and non-resident fee where applicable). The existence of the same career and technical education program at the local district shall not negate the student’s right to attend the county vocational, except where:
- The local district maintains a vocational school pursuant to NJSA 18A:54-5 et seq. and the school or (in the case of a non-resident) the county offers the same program as the county vocational school where the student is accepted.
- Note that NJAC 6A:19-2.3 preserves the right of the county vocational school to present information about the county vocational school district programs in the district board. No district board of education may, in any manner, inhibit student access to such information.